Making a living as an artist – especially one that specialises in Carnival and outdoor arts – isn’t always easy, but it’s certainly extremely fulfilling.
Our year-round artist development programme consists of three main strands:
Masterclasses and training
Regular opportunities to learn new skills, sharpen existing ones and network. Our teachers and trainers might be UK-based or international, but all will bring their vast experience to our Carnival arts masterclasses and training. We programme a variety of dance, music and visual arts training, with different abilities and traditions in mind. Masterclasses could be a one-off intensive weekend or a short course over time.
When Global Grooves began in 2003, we sought to bring together the many Carnival groups in the North West, and in Manchester in particular, to work collaboratively and signpost members to further training and development opportunities.
The Creating Carnival model was born.
Creating Carnival aims to produce a spectacular Carnival performance, later available for hire, but is developed by emerging artists, with support from established artists in their field. The emerging artists are appointed via a recruitment process and work with established artists to devise all elements of the production, including the direction of the performers. As such, Creating Carnival provides an invaluable, portfolio-enhancing opportunity for artists: devising, producing, leading and directing a brand new Carnival performance to be enjoyed by potentially thousands of people.
The Creating Carnival programme has so far comprised of:
- Visual arts development programme – 2018
- Mossley Light Festival ‘Illuminated’ – 2017
- Creating Carnival ‘Desi Carnival’ production – 2017
- Creating Carnival Singapore – 2017
- R&D in Trinidad for emerging artists and project management team – 2017
- Visiting artists from China for Mossley Light Festival – 2016
- Creating Carnival presents ‘The Tempest’ – 2016
- Creating Carnival UK – 2014
- Creating Carnival New Zealand, Singapore and Australia – 2014
- Creating Carnival Trinidad – 2014
- Creating Carnival New Zealand – 2013
- Annual international relations visits to sponsor/partner in Brazil – 2004 to present
For examples of past Creating Carnival experiences, visit Our Portfolio.
International opportunities and exchanges
Our work is genuinely global, so when opportunities arise to learn from masters of other traditions, we take them – and make sure emerging artists can benefit. Recent international exchanges include The Gambia, Nigeria, and Trinidad & Tobago.